It has been a very busy week.

I had sushi on Tuesday that ended up biting back and sending me on a delirious slide into food poisoning and dehydrated dementia. I’m going to be gross for a second. It is amazing to me when you are so sick and everything seems to fall by the wayside as you devolve into an animal crouching in a cave, wretching it’s insides out. I awoke with massive diarrhea and new that nausea was on it’s merry way – and usually once I heave-ho upstairs that seems to reset everything else. There is is something terrifying about giving in to the urge to purge. You resist and resist but know that your body knows better than you do and you need to step aside from your busy schedule and let your guts take control. All told I lost about 8 pounds of water weight and whatever else I was able to lose in a matter of four days. Mom and dad came to visit so I of course ignored any common sense and assigned myself a big beef-burger to eat and then spent the next night repeating the previous ills and praying that the hunk of cow stuck in my gut would descend.

Eventually wellness found me again and I pigged out and am back to human level.

Mom and dad had a nice visit. We went to the SOFA Expo yesterday which is always a stunning display of artisty and marketing. It blows my little Indiana mind when I am staring a piece of artwork that prices for $350,000. Good Christ. As always that glass work is stunning.

Work has been sucking big donkey dicks lately – or as usual. I keep coming back to the realization that I am the lowest paid person on the project, but seem to be the lynchpin that is holding everything together. Once contractor and I were at a meeting before everybody else was and she told me that I was doing a really great job and that everybody really appreciates all of my hard work and dedication to what we are doing – I was telling her that the emotional, job-well-done part of compensation is there – but the financial end needs to back up those sentiments. Or when Trudy asked me what happened to me working part-time and I was telling her that I couldn’t believe such intelligent people could work in such a stupid way. Once I get my performance bonus then I need to make sure I have a dialogue with my bosses on the fact that I feel fiscally screwed by my current work situation and if it doesn’t change, then I am out the door.

I trained my replacement on how to make the big-ass spreadsheet (lovingly called the BASS by the project group and soon to be called the GDSS or MFSS if frustrations continue). It is a harrowing process of taking spreadsheet data from five soures, matching data formats, throwing it into Access, running reports, exporting it back into Excel… it can take up to seven hours to do one spreadsheet – over one megabyte of data – and the process just refreshes the next day as you recreate it all over again. Luckily, me being ill has forced her to do it three times solo so now I can actually take Mondays and Fridays off as had originally been planned… long ago…






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *