(I know it’s obnoxious to post this article in it’s entirety but it really blows my litte Indiana mind)
Some of the fundamental changes to Americans’ legal rights by the Bush administration
and the USA Patriot Act following the terror attacks:
* FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political
institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigation.
* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration
hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has
encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests.
* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any
other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information
related to a terror investigation.
* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse
conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans
accused of crimes.
* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans’
papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.
* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely
without a trial.
* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being
able to confront witnesses against them.
Leave a Reply