We’re an “empire,” ain’t we? Sure we are. An empire without a manufacturing base. An empire that must borrow $2 billion a day from its competitors in order to function. We’re No. 1. Well…this is the country you really live in:
- The United States is 49th in the world in literacy (the New York Times, Dec. 12, 2004).
- Twenty percent of Americans think the sun orbits the earth. Seventeen percent believe the earth revolves around the sun once a day.
- The U.S. and South Africa are the only two developed countries in the world that do not provide health care for all their citizens.
- U.S. childhood poverty now ranks 22nd, or second to last, among the developed nations. Only Mexico scores lower.
- Nearly one out of four Americans [believe] that using violence to get what they want is acceptable.
- Forty-three percent of Americans think torture is sometimes justified.
Sometimes Happy points to this article: